Built in 1837, this imposing stone building served as a workhouse for up to 250 inmates until 1930, when it became a local authority institution and later a care home. It finally closed in 1983.
The Workhouse enjoyed a brief period of rejuvenation as an outdoor pursuits centre, before being left empty from the mid 80’s. The historic yet rather austere buildings remained empty and derelict until local residents formed a charitable body to save the buildings. eventually taking full ownership in 2008. Work began soon after, clearing the site and preparing to renovate led by local volunteers as well as visitors from afar.
The Workhouse History Group has carried out research into the history of the building and of the Llanfyllin Poor Law Union. It has collaborated with The National Archives to catalogue the extensive, untapped collection of material held at Kew and has digitised the minutes of the Llanfyllin guardians in Powys Archives. Historical exhibitions have been held. Some of this material is now on display in the Workhouse History Centre.
Address: Y Dolydd, The Workhouse, Llanfyllin SY22 5LD